Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Grocery Shopping - Farmer's Market

This weekend started my new outlook on grocery shopping. I tried a new place which is an international Farmer's Market. Absolutely amazing. The prices were fairly decent for produce and the variety was nothing I have ever seen. I felt as if this is the first time I have shopped for fruits and vegetables. My husband and I were very excited to know that we can now broaden our horizons for international cuisine. We have Chinese and Stir Fry cookbooks that was previously limiting because we didn't know the place to get a certain type of cabbage or root vegetable. This had it all, we could make Chinese, Spanish, Indian, Mexican, etc, food everyday. AND most importantly start getting away from meat dishes every night. This time around we did stick with our "normal" fruits and veggies (except I have never seen a Sweet Potato the size of my head prior to this purchase). We will find some wonderful recipes and go back to get our "new" veggies. I will post when we come up with some great ones. In the meantime, making stir fry with whatever veggies are around with some terryaki and little soy sauce works very well.

The best part of it all was that although I thought we were getting carried away grabbing such a variety of items we didn't blow our budget. My $50 a week plan is intact with about $35 going towards produce.

Over the past week, I have had three meat free dinners. Two of them were unintended due to kinks in the "menu", but look forward to the approaching Lenten season as we will be definitely doing meatless Fridays with a goal of Meatless Wednesday at the very least also.

No comments:

Post a Comment