Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DIY - One week challenge

One thing I am noticing is that people are going for the quick and easy solution for seemingly everything dealing with food. This shouldn't be a surprised based on the fast food industry's success, but quick and easy usually does not translate to healthy and natural. Nothing bothers me more than to look at a label and see unnecessary ingredients in foods.
My husband once gave up High Fructose Corn Syrup for Lent as a kick start to give it up entirely one day. Some very basic items such a ketchup, barbeque sauce, pickle relish, etc, contained this ingredient. Salt and its various preservative counterparts are another battle I seem to face. As someone who VERY rarely cooks with salt, our family gets by fine without it. Don't even get me started on Partially Hydrogenated anything.
This infiltration into nearly all convenience foods is why I have taken to seeing what I can make easily and with minimal ingredients. I am going to make from scratch (or relatively so) seven items that do not have to be store bought with a little effort.
Hummus
Peanut Butter (or other nut butter)
Butter
Tortillas from Masa
Tortilla chips from ready made Corn Tortillas
Guacamole
Guinness Bread

I also am setting out to make a money saver treat for the hubby - Chocolate Guinness Cheesecake

1 comment:

  1. The Chocolate Guinness Cheesecake was unbelievably good. I messed up slightly as I was not familiar with the water bath technique while baking but the whole thing was so tasty that it didn't matter it was a formed as it should be.

    Hummus, Peanut Butter, Guacamole were great.

    Tortilla Chips probably would have been better with a different recipe but tasted fine when used with Guacamole (alone didn't taste as good).

    Will post reviews of Guinness Bread after mom tastes on her visit (she LOVES Irish Brown Bread)

    ReplyDelete